Thursday, December 30, 2010

Stephanie @ Home: No Sew Fleece Blanket and a Bonus!

Check out this totally fantastic tutorial by Stephanie at Home. I love no sew crafts!

Stephanie @ Home: No Sew Fleece Blanket and a Bonus!: When I was out doing my last minute shopping I saw this No-Sew Fleece Blanket Kit. I thought this would be the perfect gift for those chilly homecoming tailgate parties and football games. But, I wasn't loving any of the colors or patterns the kits came in. Plus why pay a premium for a pre-packaged kit when I can easily DIY a custom blanket for less? (I saw fleece fabric on sale for as little as $3.99/yard at Jo-Ann Fabric) So I made a half leopard print (our school mascot) and half maroon (our school color) fleece blanket as a gift for one of my favorite fellow alums (my mom!) Here's how I made it plus a bonus gift (for myself!);

The supplies,

2 pieces of fleece fabric - my pieces were 54" x 54" each
Scissors - much easier if you use scissors specifically designed to cut fabric
Measuring tape - a fabric measuring tape would be easiest but a ruler works just as well

Step 1: Lay the two pieces of fabric on top of each other, with the 'right' sides facing out (trim any excess fabric around the edges so that both pieces of fabric are the same size)


Step 2: Measure and cut a 4" square out of each corner



Step 3: Cut a 4" long strip every 1" along each side of the fabric



Step 4: Double-knot every other strip along each side of the fabric



Step 5: Flip the blanket over and double-knot the remaining strips of fabric (this alternates the color/pattern of the fringe on each side)



Step 6: Wrap yourself in your new blanket, get cozy and admire your handy work!


Using a slightly modified technique, some of the left over fabric and some stuffing from a previous craft project I decided to make a pillow as a bonus gift for myself.


Step 1: Lay the two pieces of fabric on top of each other, with the 'right' sides facing out (I used fabric that was 18" x 18" each)


Step 2: Measure and cut a 2" square out of each corner


Step 3: Cut a 2" long strip every 1" along each side of the fabric


Step 4: Double-knot every strip along three sides of the fabric (Since the leopard print was going to be the front of the pillow I chose not to alternate the knots, like I did for the blanket, so that all the fringe was maroon)


Step 5: Stuff the pillow


Step 6: Double-knot the remaining strips


Step 7: Rest your head on your new pillow and admire your handy work!

No comments: