Saturday, October 4, 2008

Children of the Corn

We went to a corn maze today. The kids all ran off one way, the adults another. Wandering around a field with nothing but the sun and a large silo as a guide will make you think a bit about choices. Left or right? Where are we in relation to where we want to be? What lies around the next corner? Should I just wander aimlessly and hope for the best? Or always keep an eye on the goal? How fast do I want to get there? Do I let the advice of others steer me in the wrong direction? Do I stubbornly stay on course even though my gut is telling me I might be wrong? Or do I choose someone who looks like they know where they're going and follow them? If the end of the maze is not the goal, or if there IS no goal...well then it just doesn't matter much which way you go. Sometimes it's nice to not have a care in the world for a little while, and just let your feet take you anywhere, soak up the sun and bask in the freedom. Then that gets a little old and it's time to get back on task...toward the end where there's sweet rewards of apple cider and doughnuts.

No comments: