Turns out it's really easy to make your own yogurt. I was buying packs of individual yogurt cups weekly until I got the EasiYo Yogurt Maker for my birthday. yay! Now I can make my own, and it lasts in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks with no wasteful plastic cups and no added preservatives. Since I have a little every day for breakfast or afternoon snack, it lasted me a week for my first batch. Now I have batch #2 brewing. My son likes the homemade yogurt because it doesn't have fruit chunks in it (something about chunky yogurt really hits him wrong LOL). This yogurt maker is basically a thermos that keeps the culture/water mixture warm long enough to become thick yogurt. You can make it yourself without the yogurt maker on the stove, too, apparently, but you have to keep an eye on it for hours. With this contraption, I mix the packet of powdered culture with water, put it in the "thermos" thing, and leave it overnight. And magically, it turns to yogurt just like that! I tried making smoothies yesterday with my yogurt, crushed ice, and fruit juice, and they were really delicious. Soon I'd like to try making Greek yogurt and using it for cucumber sauce with our version of homemade gyros. yum!! And of course, I intend to try using some plain yogurt as a facial mask...love my homemade masks. Any good yogurt recipes you'd like to share?
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Yogurt Making Part 2
Turns out it's really easy to make your own yogurt. I was buying packs of individual yogurt cups weekly until I got the EasiYo Yogurt Maker for my birthday. yay! Now I can make my own, and it lasts in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks with no wasteful plastic cups and no added preservatives. Since I have a little every day for breakfast or afternoon snack, it lasted me a week for my first batch. Now I have batch #2 brewing. My son likes the homemade yogurt because it doesn't have fruit chunks in it (something about chunky yogurt really hits him wrong LOL). This yogurt maker is basically a thermos that keeps the culture/water mixture warm long enough to become thick yogurt. You can make it yourself without the yogurt maker on the stove, too, apparently, but you have to keep an eye on it for hours. With this contraption, I mix the packet of powdered culture with water, put it in the "thermos" thing, and leave it overnight. And magically, it turns to yogurt just like that! I tried making smoothies yesterday with my yogurt, crushed ice, and fruit juice, and they were really delicious. Soon I'd like to try making Greek yogurt and using it for cucumber sauce with our version of homemade gyros. yum!! And of course, I intend to try using some plain yogurt as a facial mask...love my homemade masks. Any good yogurt recipes you'd like to share?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment