I love plants. I love having them around the house and yard, I enjoy them for their greenness, their prettiness, their usefulness. But my family members consider me famously bad at tending to them. My biggest weakness is forgetting to water. Some plants even with regular watering still die at my hand, and I really don't know what's up with that. But my sister-in-law knows how badly I want to be able to have plants and keep them growing, so for my birthday she got me a pot of herbs she carefully got started for me in a "self-watering" type pot. It has a reservoir at the bottom you fill with water and it keeps them happy for a week or so. I've done well so far! And I'm really enjoying having the fresh herbs around. We've used them for cooking a lot already, and so far even my trimming hasn't hurt them. Here's a picture of my herb pot on the deck...placed front and center so I can't look outside without seeing it and remembering to keep it watered. In the pot is some lavender, dill, rosemary, basil, and lemon thyme. Do you have any tips for helping me keep my herbs lovely and alive?
Monday, June 15, 2009
Herbs Glorious Herbs
I love plants. I love having them around the house and yard, I enjoy them for their greenness, their prettiness, their usefulness. But my family members consider me famously bad at tending to them. My biggest weakness is forgetting to water. Some plants even with regular watering still die at my hand, and I really don't know what's up with that. But my sister-in-law knows how badly I want to be able to have plants and keep them growing, so for my birthday she got me a pot of herbs she carefully got started for me in a "self-watering" type pot. It has a reservoir at the bottom you fill with water and it keeps them happy for a week or so. I've done well so far! And I'm really enjoying having the fresh herbs around. We've used them for cooking a lot already, and so far even my trimming hasn't hurt them. Here's a picture of my herb pot on the deck...placed front and center so I can't look outside without seeing it and remembering to keep it watered. In the pot is some lavender, dill, rosemary, basil, and lemon thyme. Do you have any tips for helping me keep my herbs lovely and alive?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Great job... looks wonderful.. herbs, I think, are one of the easier things to grow.. being able to use them in cooking helps me remember to take care of them too :)
My only advice is to watch the plants and feel the soil. I am no expert at plants but I am definitely experienced - both at keeping them alive and killing them. Also, if the pot gets too small for the plant or the soil loses nutrition...Things to look for.
Good job, so far!
Post a Comment